Prep time: 20 min, Cook time: 1 hour
Who doesn’t love a classic green bean casserole on the Holidays??
This has always been a favorite of mine and after years of trial and error I think I’ve finally discovered the perfect vegan version!
- 1lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-2 in pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 c chopped mushrooms (any variety will work, my favorite is a mix of portobello and button)
- 1 T minced garlic
- 1/4 c flour
- 1 c vegetable stock
- 1 c unflavored, unsweetened milk of choice (soy is usually my go-to for savory cooking)
- 1 c fried onions
- 2 T vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 2 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and mushrooms and cook until onion is translucent and the mushrooms have cooked down and released moisture, about 10-15 min
- Add garlic, salt and pepper and mix well
- Sprinkle flour on top and stir well for 2-3 min
- Slowly stir in vegetable stock and milk
- Let simmer for about 10 min until mixture thickens
- In a separate saucepan (or microwave), steam the green beans for about 5-10 min until softened.
- Stir the green beans into the mushroom mixture. Add 1/2 c fried onions to the mix and then pour into the prepared baking dish
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 c onions on top
- Bake for about 40 min, until bubbly and slightly browned.