Prep time: 10 min, Cook time: 30 min
I feel like I’ve been seeing different ideas for carrot cake oatmeal everywhere lately, so of course I had to try it out with my own flair!
And there are only a handful of ingredients which is always a plus.
This is a fantastic way to add veggies at breakfast time. I ended up using a whole bag of carrots. And I used my food processor to chop them up, which is seriously so easy.
I used steel cut oats because I had just the right amount left in an open bag. Regular old fashioned will work great too, just make sure to adjust the cooking time down slightly.
- 1.5 c steel cut oats
- 2c water
- 2c milk of choice (I used oat milk, because… why not?)
- 1 16oz bag whole carrots, or about 1.5c shredded carrots
- 1c chopped dates
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts
- 1T maple syrup
- 2t cinnamon
- 1t pumpkin spice
- Dash of sea salt
- Warm water and milk in a large flat bottom skillet or stock pot over medium heat.
- Add oats and bring to a very slow boil, then turn heat to low. Add dash of salt.
- Peel and shred carrots. Chop dates and walnuts.
- Add remaining ingredients, along with carrots and dates, to the oatmeal.
- Continue to simmer until the liquid is mostly absorbed and the oats are cooked through.
- Enjoy 😊
This will make about 6 servings. Store leftovers in an airtight container. You may want to add a little water before reheating. This will freeze well.