Prep time: 10 min, Cook time: 1.5 hours
One good thing about the changing cooler temps means it’s soup season!!
Sometimes I like to take my time chopping fresh produce and roasting it first to develop great flavors.
Other times I am extremely lazy 😂.
All of the ingredients in this chili came from either my pantry or my freezer. Which is incredibly helpful on a busy weekday.
- 1T olive oil
- 1 16oz bag frozen bell peppers and onions (or about 1 onion and 3 peppers, chopped)
- 1 10 oz bag frozen sweet potatoes (or 1 large sweet potato, chopped). Butternut squash would also work nicely.
- 2 14 oz cans of black beans
- 2 14 oz cans of roasted tomatoes
- 1 c brown rice
- 1t Chili powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Sea salt, to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stockpot.
- Add peppers, onions and sweet potatoes with chili powder and a little salt.
- Sautee until onions start to become translucent. Taste and add cayenne pepper if desired.
- Add tomatoes and beans (I added the juice as well, but you can drain and rinse if desired, just add a little more water to the pot).
- Add about 4c water and bring to a slow boil.
- Add rice and lower the temperature to medium-low.
- Continue to simmer until rice is fully cooked.
- Add salt to taste.